Mantra from the Milk/Moscone memorial march: "Fight back!"

(146)
Activists march from the Castro to City Hall.
Luke Thomas

Hundreds of activists and progressive San Franciscans marked the 35th anniversary of the Mayor George Moscone and Sup. Harvey Milk assassinations on Wednesday night in the Castro with fiery speeches urging the crowd to “fight back!” against displacement and gentrification, conjuring the words and spirit of those slain leftist leaders.

“Gotta have hope just to stay alive,” the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus sang of Milk and his message on the 35th anniversary of that chorus’ first performance, on the steps of City Hall on the day of the tragedy, belting out the refrain, “Gotta give ‘em hope.”

Despite the onslaught of evictions triggered by real estate speculators and the city’s current economic development policies, such as the tens of millions of dollars in tax breaks extended to Twitter alone, the defiant message from this podium did have an undercurrent of hope.

But that hope was predicated on people’s willingness to organize and engage in “a fight they started,” Tom Temprano, president of the Harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club, said of Milk and Moscone, “a fight against gentrification and displacement.”

Yet Temprano also said that people have to feel stable and secure to really have hope: “You can’t have hope without a roof over your head. You can’t have hope without affordable housing. And that’s why we’re marching today.”

Temprano then played an old news clip of Milk talking about his own eviction from the camera store and apartment where he lived on Castro Street, the result of similar economic forces that are overtaking the city today.

Milk explained how San Francisco’s economy relies on local residents being able to earn a living wage and not pay too much of their incomes in rents. But when landlords gouge their tenants, they have less to spend in local businesses, “and sooner or later, that’s going to crunch the economy locally.”

One of the more fiery speeches of the evening came from Brian Basinger of the AIDS Housing Alliance, who used one of Milk’s signature lines when he said, “I’m Brian Basinger and I’m here to recruit you. I’m here to recruit you into a movement for housing justice that goes back decades.”

He cited the recent successes of that movement, from suing to stop CitiApartments from abusing and exploiting its tenants to stopping the 8 Washington luxury condo project when the voters overwhelmingly defeated Props. B&C this month.

“Housing rights are human rights,” Basinger said.

Housing activist Tony Robles, a board member of the Manilatown Heritage Foundation, recalled being a student at Mission High School when the news of the assassinations was announced, an event that profoundly affected him. He said they represented “the spirit of community and the spirit of fighting for what is right.”

Robles called out Sup. Scott Wiener, a Milk successor representing the Castro, calling Wiener unworthy of that legacy, citing Wiener’s legislation allowing more apartments to be converted to condos and with closing the parks at night. “You were no Harvey Milk when you made that move, brother,” Robles said, closing with this hope: “Let the poetry of Harvey Milk’s struggle live on in the streets of San Francisco.”

Wiener and other politicians, including Mayor Ed Lee, Sen. Mark Leno, Board President David Chiu, and state Democratic Party head John Burton, spoke earlier in the day at a City Hall memorial. But they pointedly weren’t invited to the more raucous evening event (although Sup. David Campos, whose Assembly race against Chiu the Milk Club has endorsed, did show up to offer his silent support).

“Fuck you, we are staying!” was the message Shannell Williams, a San Francisco native and a rising young activist who came from the Save City College movement, had for city’s landlords and those who say low and middle income earners should just move to Oakland.

She and others recalled the message of love and inclusion that were hallmarks of Milk and Moscone’s political philosophy, as well as their belief in building coalitions to defeat powerful economic interests.

Tommi Avicolli Mecca of the SF Housing Rights Committee cited recent successes the movement has had in fighting back against evictions and said, “It’s because of the power we have as tenants when we unite and we fight back.”

He said that was Milk’s central message: “If we unite and fight, we can win.” And Mecca said San Francisco “doesn’t belong to greedy landlords, it belongs to all of us.”

Cleve Jones, an longtime LGBT activist who was an intern for Milk at the time of the assassinations, noted that, “There are some who will question our desire to raise political points tonight,” recognizing this occasion has usually been a solemn memorial march.

But he said that using this occasion as a vehicle for political organizing is the best way to honor the legacy of Milk and Moscone, who Jones said would be appalled by what’s happening in this city. Jones told the story of an aging gay activist who was recently depressed about being displaced from the city, and Jones tried to comfort him by saying, “It’s hard to get old in this town and see all the changes.”

It didn’t help: Days later, Jones said his friend committed suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge.

“It’s not rhetoric and it’s not hyperbole. This destroys lives,” Jones said. It was a message repeated on a large banner carried by those leading the march to City Hall, which read, “Eviction=Death.”

The rally was closed out by members of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, who cited a long list of “weird, kooky artistic innovators” from San Francisco’s past, and said that, “They never could have afforded to live here today.”

Then the Sisters offered an invocation they called the “Rosary of Housing Evils,” asking the crowd to repeat the mantra “Save us from the speculators” between each of their prayers and observations for the city, which included:

“Harvey Milk was evicted from his home.”

“Extend rent control to all residential and commercial units.”

“Forty percent of queer seniors cannot afford their rents.”

“Rent has risen 21 percent this year.”

“We all need to stay together or they’ll pick us off one by one.”

Comments

Most of my friends and neighbors support Wiener because he listens well, focuses on real quality-of-life matters that are important in the area, and because he is a pragmatist who gets things done.

Compared with ineffective useless ideologs like Campos and Mar, there were is a massive difference.

I confidently expect that Scott will be our next Mayor, after Ed Lee's second full term. both are can-do, pro-jobs types.

Posted by anon on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

It's not a "typo" Thick One. I see it repeatedly from the Wiener-bots. They consistently don't know how to spell their god's name. And the only reason you got it correct is because you copied what I wrote (the correct version). You can stop with that "he listens well to his constituents" bull shit. That's another lie from the Wiener-bots. He "listens" to his rabid, right-wing, redneck, angry supporters who support his draconian agenda. He ignores all other "constituents."

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 5:23 pm

Adding to that:

Wiener listens to the wealthy, the rich. That's who he works for. They are his owners, including the Real Estate Industrial Complex and their liars. The same is true for that Lee. They are both tools for the rich.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

I called 911 and much to my shock they said they wouldn't send an officer because looking at your phone on the street isn't a "crime!" I sense collusion between that big ol' mess Wiener and the SFPD. I recently spoke with his only declared opponent Michael Petrelis and he agreed that when he's elected supervisor he's going to make this a priority right after he gets those meetings moved closer to the Castro and nationalizes the rainbow flag at Castro and Market. I was like "holla sista!!" We'll see how that mess Wiener like it when HE'S being investigated!!

Posted by The Goebblin Love Child of Smaug on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

"I was like "holla [sic] sista!!" "

It's spelled "Hola." It's español. You're the same spelling-challenged Wiener-bot who was on another thread where you wrote this:

"Your writing style is worth of a Pulitzer. I especially love your first-person accounts of demonstrations and repeated sitings [sic] of Scott Weiner [sic] looking at his phone on the street - we should attempt a recall on that basis alone!

So you've since learned how to use copy/paste to spell his name correctly after I previously wrote it out for you. That's progress. Clearly Wiener doesn't have the brightest supporters, with spelling being one of their weakest points.

And you "were like?" So like you're like one like of like those like brain-dead like sounding people like who like have to like use like the word "like" every-like other-like-word like? As I said, not the brightest people.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 9:09 pm

I knew from your "Oh Mary"-type lingo redolent of 50's-style gay male camp but correcting "holla" to "hola" really takes the cake.

FYI:

1. holla
word of the day: June 11, 2009
1. A word used to acknowledge the presence of a fellow companion
2. For a man to express interest in a particularly impressive female specimen
3. To contact via telephone
1. Is that mah boy ova there? HOLLAAAAA!
2. Watch out, I'm bout to holla at this fine bitch.
3. Boy, it was absolutely magnificent to see you again. Holla at me this evening, we can have tea and crumpets.

Learn it gramps.

Posted by The Goebblin Love Child of Smaug on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

Regardless of my chronological age which you know absolutely nothing about, now you're being ageist. I suspect your god Wiener is becoming increasingly embarrassed by some of his big-talker supporters on this forum and the shit they're coming up with. Ageism is a sickness just like any other negative "ism." It's most unfortunate that you're inflicted with it. Nor do you know my gender, yet you presume to know my gender by your usage of the dated "gramps" language. Wiener certainly does have some very dated and outdated supporters. That certainly does speak directly to their draconian, conservative agenda.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

Head over to Twin Peaks for a daiquiri and chill out.

Posted by The Goebblin Love Child of Smaug on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 10:39 pm

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

See also Stefani, Gwen: I ain't no Hollaback Girl.

Posted by freaky deaky on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 6:26 am

"Robles called out Sup. Scott Wiener, a Milk successor representing the Castro, calling Wiener unworthy of that legacy, citing Wiener’s legislation allowing more apartments to be converted to condos and with closing the parks at night. “You were no Harvey Milk when you made that move, brother,”

Absolutely. But let's be honest and frank, Wiener is no "brother." He's a corporatist hack tool for the rich. Just like that Lee. Wiener will not be satisfied until this city including the Castro is an island for rich, white straight people. And I've thought this since his first campaign. I saw him for what he is. Some piece of work like that is no "brother" and he's the direct opposite of Harvey Milk.

Posted by GuestInTheCastro on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

pilot projects to create new micro-apartments and in-laws, and by approving new homes which are being built more in his district than any other in SF.

What you are really complaining about is that Wiener doesn't endlessly spout platitudes about "equality" and "fairness" and "justice" while doing nothing to help the average city resident at all.

If I could swap Wiener for any of the other ten Supervisors, I would not. He is the best and Campos is the worst.

Posted by anon on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

walking too. I saw it today and when I called the SFPD they said they'd arrest ME if I kept calling them about things which technically aren't "crimes." I'm like "it's a crime how Wiener votes and what about that gay flag on Market and Castro?" and the dispatcher said "Sir, if you call again you will be arrested."

Well I never! See - in Ed Lee's "new" San Francisco innocent citizens like little moi are threatened with arrest for pointing out crimes while big ol' messes like that piece of work Wiener get away with rhetorical murder!

I spoke with Michael Petrelis and he said the first thing he will do when he is elected D8 supervisor (after nationalizing the gay flag on Market and Castro and getting some random meetings moved closer to where he lives) is launch a full and fair investigation of Wiener's time in office, after which he expects Wienver will be sent to San Quentin for life. I'm like "Sayonara sister!" and told Petrelis he can count on my support!

Posted by The Goebblin Love Child of Smaug on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 6:09 pm

And I'm like, you're like loco/a, like.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 9:25 pm

on the Board of Supervisors. I recently called up the ghost of Harvey Milk on my Ouija board and Saint Harvey told me he was rolling over in his rhetorical grave about what San Francisco has become!

He said "Sister Onya Nees I gotta tell you the worst part about leaving earth so early was not going to get to enjoy the appreciation in my Castro condo!" and I said "Huh?" and he said "I was an astute businessman who was once a stockbroker - you think I wouldn't have enjoyed 2000% appreciation on the property I was gonna buy in 1979 for $25,000?" And I'm really shocked and I said "But Harvey, progressives today claim you hated private property and loved the homeless." He laughed uproariously and said "You think I got involved in politics to attack private property and support losers who won't get jobs? My - it looks like the right-wing really HAS distorted my record."

Oh Mary I don't know WHAT to think anymore. I just know that mess Wiener has something to do with this!

Posted by The Goebblin Love Child of Smaug on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

That is some really funny shit there GLCS, thanks!

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 12:45 pm
Posted by The Goebblin Love Child of Smaug on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 5:53 pm

"Robles called out Sup. Scott Wiener, a Milk successor representing the Castro, calling Wiener unworthy of that legacy"

True. Wiener has never given unconditional support to a murderous religious cult.

Posted by racer さ on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

Scott Wiener should move to Oakland.

It's only 10 minutes away on BART.

I'm sure he'd be much happier there.

Posted by Popeye on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 8:06 pm

I understand your point, but I wouldn't want to force that piece of work on Oakland. And it's too close to San Francisco. How about back to New Jersey where he came from?

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

That big ol' mess should get herself right outta San Francisco! I spoke to Michael Petrelis about this today and he said after that piece of work gets done serving her sentence at San Quentin (after a free and fair trial) he'll make sure she's sent right on down the river to New Jersey where she came from! I was like "Two snaps up Mary! You can count on MY support!"

Posted by The Goebblin Love Child of Smaug on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

Who is this "her" you're referring to? Are you referring to Wiener as "her?" Well isn't that the same type of stuff you complained about earlier when you wrote to me: "I knew from your "Oh Mary"-type lingo redolent of 50's-style gay male camp..."

??

Referring to guys as "her" is what is known as gay camp. I've never referred to any guys on here as "her." So aren't you doing exactly what you complained about earlier and accused me of doing (even though I wasn't)? Hypocrite. Then you went on to display your ageism (and presumed my gender) by referring to me as "gramps" and "a senior citizen" when in reality you know absolutely nothing about me.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

I am AGREEING with you girl! Two snaps up now!

Posted by The Goebblin Love Child of Smaug on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 11:08 pm

Mirkarimi, Chicago
Daly, Maryland, Fairfield
Avalos, Los Angeles
Campos, Los Angeles

Posted by Matlock on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

So Comical. Hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

Let's see...

Daly and Mirkarimi are no longer on the Board of Supervisors. So you're living in another era and/or you don't keep up. Too busy laughing at things that are not funny?

Posted by Guest on Nov. 29, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

but a not overly progressive supervisor from out of town is bad.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by Matlock on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 12:26 am

who seek to embrace and exemplify the nature of a place -- and those who want to reform it into their misinformed vision of what it should be.

In any case, it is the contest of opposing values -- such as fairness and greed -- which is important here; not "pedigrees."

Nativism, as always, is one of the most obviously base conceits, Matlock.

By the way, when I saw your attempt to connect Ross Mirkarimi to Chicago, I immediately thought of Breitbart-land, where that place-name is code for "corrupt Democrat" -- and also how it seemed misapplied to Ross Mirkarimi -- so I checked, and indeed the Sheriff was five when he was transported to New England where he grew up.

Such misapplied trivia jibes perfectly with your "blood-will-tell" credo.

*real or fake lillipublicans? You decide.

Posted by lillipublicans* on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 6:02 am

born and raised here, and those who came here for a reason. It's a random accident of birth that you grow up here and that has little bearing on whether you are a contributor of resources or a consumer of them.

We need people here to contribute and add to the taxbase, and not those who require endless handouts and subsidies to subsist. We owe nothing to the interloper who comes here to suck at the public teat, but we also owe nothing to the same people who just happened to start out here.

My question to anyone and everyone living here is simple. Do you pay your own way and is my life better just because you are here. That rules out a lot of hangers-on and folks who are here simply because they refuse to grow up or adapt elsewhere.

What have you done for us recently?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 9:24 am

Go run over a bicyclist or something. Maybe you find some elderly person in a wheelchair to run over, I bet that would really make your day.

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

We do not need to make excuses any more for people who suck value out of our city.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

If you think the life of anyone who does not personally improve your life is worthless, why foist them off onto Oakland? Why not just march them off to the gas chambers? Since of course the universe revolves around you and anyone who does not personally improve your life is less than worthless.

"is my life better just because you are here"

Probably not, since you don't know me. I guess I know where my place is.

You are seriously one sick fuck.

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

The question wasn't so much about whether I personally gain anything from your continued presence in a place you clearly cannot afford. Ultimately, if you cannot pay your bills, I do not care at all.

But it is a legitimate public policy question to ask what the city gains from your presence IF AND ONLY IF you are drawing taxpayer-funded benefits or are otherwise taking a handout from someone else as, for instance, a tenant with a discounted rent does.

And I am struggling to see what value add you confer on this city. Ergo, you should receive no public funds nor publicly mandated subsidies.

I pay my own way, so the issue quite simply doesn't arise for me. But I suspect it does for you.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

My kids are in public school. I know that means you think they should be marched off to Work Camp, but luckily most people don't subscribe to your peculiar vision of Libertarian Utopia.

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Dec. 02, 2013 @ 1:02 pm

Anyway, my point was more that we should not indiscriminantly throw handouts and subsidies at anyone who decides that they want to be here. but only if they add value i.e. it is really an investment in the future and not a subsidy for some loser who wants to live somewhere "cool" or who doesn't want to grow up.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 02, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

If you put it that way, I agree. I don't mind helping out children or the elderly or disabled, but not every person who wants to can live in a subsidized apartment.

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Dec. 02, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

in SF should take some regard of WHO is being helped. Right now all tenants get something like rent control regardless of need. A better solution is that used for food stamps, section 8 housing vouchers and other welfare programs i.e. some form of means testing.

So broadly speaking, people fall into three categories, in order of importance:

1) People who are the critical workers that SF needs

2) Kids, seniors, the sick and disabled

3) The "aspirants" who move to SF just because they think it is cool or because they don't want to grow up, fit in or be adults where they come from.

It's the third group that I have no time for. Sadly SF has always attracted more than its fair share of misfits, whiners and losers, and we should not be encouraging them to move here or stay here.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 02, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

as a native son of LA he bemoaned people coming to SF and attempting to tell us how to live.

"fairness" to a progressive essentially means, "I want" and has nothing to do with fairness, which is an unquantifiable word.

Posted by Matlock on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 11:35 am

their own agenda and their own constituency.

So it is "fair" and "just" for someone to pay 20% of the real rent for a home, but "unfair" and "unjust" for a property owner to eventually get sick of subsidizing his ass and invoke Ellis, even though the Ellis Act was passed very specifically to address exactly that situation.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 01, 2013 @ 11:44 am

Mark Goldes' proofless claims regarding his Aesop Institute's make-believe strictly ambient heat engine do not represent any new technology, or even a new pretense - they merely represent a rather old pretense.

"Before the establishment of the Second Law, many people who were interested in inventing a perpetual motion machine had tried to circumvent the restrictions of First Law of Thermodynamics by extracting the massive internal energy of the environment as the power of the machine. Such a machine is called a "perpetual motion machine of the second kind". The second law declared the impossibility of such machines."

"A perpetual motion machine of the second kind is a machine which spontaneously converts thermal energy into mechanical work. When the thermal energy is equivalent to the work done, this does not violate the law of conservation of energy. However it does violate the more subtle second law of thermodynamics (see also entropy). The signature of a perpetual motion machine of the second kind is that there is only one heat reservoir involved, which is being spontaneously cooled without involving a transfer of heat to a cooler reservoir. This conversion of heat into useful work, without any side effect, is impossible, according to the second law of thermodynamics."

Goldes' make-believe strictly ambient heat engine would be a perpetual motion machine of the second kind, as defined above. Goldes is not developing any such engine; he is merely developing a pretense - as usual.

A block of ice just below the freezing point is far above absolute zero, so it actually contains plenty of heat. Can we take advantage of this to boil a pot of water, by setting it down on a block of ice?

Both processes are ruled out by the very same law - the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

An engine that only uses ambient heat would need to be able to DECREASE the entropy of the universe. The Second Law tells us that we can never decrease the entropy of the universe, or of an isolated system.

As a consequence of this law:

"It is impossible for any device operating on a cycle to produce net work from a single temperature reservoir; the production of net work requires flow of heat from a hotter reservoir to a colder reservoir."

In the make-believe strictly ambient heat engine there are not two heat reservoirs at different temperatures; no reservoir would be available at any temperature other than the ambient temperature. No matter what cycle we design with this constraint, we will find that the cycle would have to be able to decrease the entropy of the universe in order to do any work.

The formulation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics as a constraint on entropy change is one of the most beautifully simple, and well-established, laws of physics.

The Second Law tells us that we can never build an engine that does some work with heat taken from a heat reservoir, without also transferring some heat to another reservoir at a lower temperature.

An equivalent statement is that we can't decrease the total entropy of an isolated system.

The entropy change differential due to heat transfer to or from a reservoir is inversely related to the temperature at which the transfer occurs. The consequence is that transferring heat INTO a cold reservoir produces a larger GAIN in entropy, than the LOSS of entropy that occurs due to transfer of the same amount of heat FROM a hot reservoir. This noteworthy and remarkable inequality enables a heat engine to use some heat to do some work without violating the Second Law - as long as it can make use of two different heat reservoirs, at different temperatures. The ambient-heat-powered engine only involves a single reservoir, at a single temperature (at any given moment). Use of heat from the single reservoir would reduce the entropy of the reservoir, and with no colder reservoir, the engine has no way to compensate by increasing the entropy anywhere else. Therefore we know for certain that the engine will disappoint us. It will never be able to do any work.

In Mark Goldes' patent application for his "POWERGENIE" horn-powered tuning-rod engine, he described the tuning-rod as "an energy transfer and multiplier element."

But of course, for the tuning-rod to "multiply" energy, it would need to disprove the law of conservation of energy. (Obviously the Patent Office should never have allowed such a description.)

Goldes' use of the term "energy multiplier element" reflects his pretense that the "revolutionary breakthrough" of the amazing "POWERGENIE" could disprove the law of conservation of energy, by presenting the world with a working "energy multiplier."

Goldes even claimed in 2008 that the POWERGENIE had been demonstrated already in an electric car, driven 4800 miles by his energy-multiplying horn-powered tuning-rod.

But it seems that most people, for some reason, had difficulty accepting the notion that the law of conservation of energy could be proven false.

And Goldes no doubt noticed that the Second Law of Thermodynamics - that "the entropy of an isolated system tends to increase with time and can never decrease" - is much less clear to most people than the conservation of energy.

So now, after leaving aside the pretense that he could somehow "multiply energy" with a magnetized tuning-rod, Goldes has chosen to focus, instead, on the pretense that he can disprove the Second Law with an engine powered only by ambient heat.

Once again: Expecting an ambient heat engine to do any work, with only one heat reservoir, is exactly equivalent to expecting a teapot to boil water by absorbing heat from a block of ice. Anyone who claims to be developing a "prototype" of such an engine is only developing a pretense, and nothing more.

There is no "new science" in any of Goldes' "revolutionary breakthroughs." There is only pseudoscience and pretense - and nothing new, at all.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 7:13 am

Great coverage of our Milk Moscone March to Move Hope Forward. Sign up here to receive updates and an invitation to our Castro Tenants Convention January 11th at the LGBT Center.

Posted by Brian Basinger on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 10:00 am

Do straight tenants not have the same problems?

Why divide and stereotype?

Posted by Guest on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 11:04 am

"March to Move Hope Forward"? Wasn't it more like "March to Bash Scott Wiener"?

Posted by Guest on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

Steve:

When is the Guardian going to discuss that important UC study on bike accidents in SF? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23032807

Turns out that City Hall has been relying on police reports on cycling accidents and ignoring all the accidents reported at SF General. Which means that riding a bike in SF is a lot more dangerous than City Hall and the SFBC have been telling us. And many of those accidents have nothing to do with other vehicles; they are "cyclist only" accidents.

Care to comment? Or, except for me, be the first in the city's media to acknowledge and discuss this study? Dr. Dicker at UC (DickerR@sfghsurg.ucsf.edu) will send you a pdf of the report.

Regards,
Rob Anderson

Posted by Guest on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

accidents were caused by the cyclist breaking the law or riding badly, dangerously and inconsiderately, I'm not sure what it will really show.

And what does that have to do with an envy/pity protest in the Castro anyway?

Posted by Guest on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

Rob Anderson is a 1 note kook.

Ignore hime.

Posted by Pete Moss on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 4:06 pm
Posted by Guest on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 4:46 pm

Sure, to the conspiracy buff a conspiracy theory is common sense.

Posted by Cats Pajamas on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

He speaks the truth and so, this being San Francisco, people hate on for it.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

Well according to FBI profilers, most conspiracy nuts are loners.

You know the stereotype: huddled in a basement, tinfoil hat, rambling manifestos.

Posted by Clay Powell on Nov. 30, 2013 @ 6:15 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.