Today (Tue/3) people are switching gears from the consumer madness of Black Friday, the shopping kickoff of the holiday season.
Dec. 3 marks the second annual #GivingTuesday, created to encourage generosity in support of positive change rather than materialistic consumerism.
According to this website, the 92nd Street Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association, in partnership with the United Nations Foundation, was the catalyst and incubator for the #GivingTuesday initiative, billed as “a new day for giving back.”
And throughout the Bay Area, nonprofits and arts organizations are taking advantage of the opportunity to solicit support for a wide range of worthy causes, with mini fund drives being helped along with social media.
So go ahead, pry your eyes away from those YouTube videos of Black Friday Walmart stampedes -- and have a look around instead at what local causes you might want to support. Because it's the giving season, and Tuesday isn’t over yet.
— YBCA (@ybca) December 3, 2013
— Exploratorium (@exploratorium) December 3, 2013
— SF Bicycle Coalition (@sfbike) December 3, 2013
— Sunday Streets SF (@SundayStreets) December 3, 2013
— David Chiu (@DavidChiu) December 3, 2013
— BAYCAT (@baycatSF) December 3, 2013
— Visual Aid Gallery (@visualaid) November 27, 2012
— WomensComClinic (@WomensComClinic) December 3, 2013
— WIRED (@WIRED) December 3, 2013
— Oakland Rising (@OaklandRising) December 3, 2013
— Oceana (@Oceana) December 3, 2013
— Mother Jones (@MotherJones) December 3, 2013
— MapLight (@MapLight) December 3, 2013
— Van Jones (@VanJones68) December 3, 2013
— Drug Policy Alliance (@DrugPolicyNews) December 3, 2013
— Womens Foundation CA (@womensfoundca) November 29, 2013
— SF Boat Show (@SFBoatShow) December 3, 2013
Most Commented On
- Mr Diridon really needs to go - March 7, 2014
- I take that as a sign that the NIMBY losers know they have lost - March 7, 2014
- Yes, Cw, only sycophantic adoration of SFBG is allowed here. - March 7, 2014
- *Say something, I'm giving up on you.* - March 7, 2014
- The reason Steven wants to go after AirBnB and not hosts is - March 7, 2014
- If A correlates to B and B corrrelates to C then the chances are - March 7, 2014
- This is one of the few issues where I agree with the SFBG - March 7, 2014
- tenants - March 7, 2014
- Wait a sec. I thought that - March 7, 2014
- No, the great myth is that the rich hate the poor. It's not true - March 7, 2014